Call Us | 318-377-1555
Fill Out The Form Below for a Free Consultation
Shreveport Domestic Violence Lawyer
Domestic Violence Attorney in Shreveport, LA
The state of Louisiana seeks to protect victims in matters of domestic violence. Victims may seek orders of protection from the court to keep abusers at bay. There are also criminal penalties for perpetrators of domestic abuse battery. The consequences of a domestic violence conviction can include steep fines, jail time, and the loss of gun rights, among other long-term repercussions. If you face criminal charges for domestic violence in Shreveport, don’t hesitate to contact a domestic violence defense lawyer.
Understanding Domestic Violence in Shreveport
Domestic abuse battery occurs between household members when one household member intentionally uses force or violence against another household member without his or her consent. In Louisiana, a household member is:
- Any opposite-sex adult presently living with the defendant
- Any opposite-sex adult who has lived with the defendant within five years of the domestic abuse battery, regardless of whether they were actually married
- Any minor children living with the defendant
- Any minor children who lived with the defendant within five years of the occurrence of domestic abuse battery
- Any of the defendant’s biological children.
Defending Domestic Domestic Violence Charges in Shreveport
It is not easy to dispel domestic violence charges in Shreveport, Louisiana. Even if you are never convicted, the charges can have a significant impact on your life. You deserve aggressive criminal defense in light of domestic violence charges to protect your future.
Attorney Eric G. Johnson is a problem solver who strives to negotiate deals with prosecutors and judges in the best interest of his clients. For over 24 years he has defended clients against domestic violence charges in Louisiana. Call 318-377-1555 for a free consultation.